Moving in Checklist
Everything you need to know when moving into your new property.
We would like to take this opportunity to welcome you and your family to your new home. As it is important that you are able to locate all the various services and find out how everything works as soon as possible, we have provided the following checklist to help you do this.
Read you Tenancy Agreement
It's important you familiarise yourself with the terms of your tenancy agreement which includes your rights and responsibilities along with our responsibilities as your landlord.
A quick overview of your tenancy terms include ensuring you:
- Pay your rent
- Don’t cause a nuisance to your neighbours
- Look after your home
- Let us in for your annual gas check.
In return we will:
- Maintain the structure and exterior of your home
- Operate a 24/7, 365 days a year emergency service and will ensure that any issues are dealt with quickly
- Carry out most repairs (link to repair section). If something is not working, report it to our contact centre as soon as you can.
- Arrange an annual gas safety check by a Gas Safe engineer (where there are any gas appliances).
- Give you at least 24 hours notice of visits for things like repairs
- Take a current meter reading.
- The supplier is British Gas.
- Make a note of where the gas meter is located.
- Check when your turn on gas appointment is.
- Note down gas meter type and the number of the meter.
- Take a meter reading.
- The current supplier is British Gas.
- Make a note of where the meter is located.
- Note down meter type and number.
- Locate the main stop-tap location - this will enable you to turn the water supply off. Where temperatures are not identified, the blue is cold and red is hot.
- Check if there is a water meter. If so, note down the serial number, reading and location.
- Contact United Utilities on 01923 237 000 to inform them of your tenancy.
- Note down the type of central heating system
- You must let the Local Authority know that you have taken this tenancy so they can register you for Council Tax. Please find a list of LA contacts below.
- We recommend that you take our personal contents insurance to insure your possessions. For a competitive quotations contact thistlemyhome.co.uk on 0345 450 7288
- If you plan on having a TV when you move into your property, you should apply for a TV license. Please be advice that Plus Dane do not provide or repair TV aerials on individual properties. If you wish to receive a TV service, this can be arranged at a cost.
Electric - British Gas - 0800 048 0202
Gas - British Gas - 0800 048 0202
Water - United Utilities - 01925 237 000
Cheshire East Council - 0300 123 5500
Cheshire West & Chester - 0300 1238 123
Halton Borough Council - 0303 333 4300
Knowsley Borough Council - 0151 489 6000
Liverpool City Council - 0151 233 3000
Sefton Council - 0345 140 0845
Wirral Borough Council - 0151 606 2004
Universal Credit - 0345 600 0723
TV Licensing - 0300 790 6144
Debt Advice - Step Change - 0800 138 1111
Tenants Contents Insurance - 0345 450 7288